Walton Village Hall – Terms and Conditions of Hire
Payment is required at least 4 weeks before your booking date, or if this is less than 4 weeks ahead, then immediately. Payment will only be refundable in exceptional circumstances – please contact the hall. For weekend events booked more than 6 months in advance, regular hirers excepted, a deposit of 50% is required, which is refundable up to 4 weeks before the event.
Start of Hire
Please refer to the checklist provided in the Hirers Pack at the time of booking and displayed on the Village Hall Notice Board.
The Hirer will during the period of hire, be responsible for:
• The supervision of the Hall, the fabric and contents, their care and safety from damage.
• Ensuring that the permitted number of people in the Hall does not exceed 60 people seated
or 100 standing.
• Ensuring that the behaviour of all persons using the premises is appropriate
• The Hirer shall indemnify the Committee for the cost of repair for any damage done to any
part of the Hall including the surrounding or the contents of the buildings during, or as a
result of, the Hire.
• The Hirer shall not sub-let, or use the Hall for any unlawful purpose or in any unlawful way,
nor do anything or bring onto the premises anything which may endanger the Hall, or its
• All electrical equipment brought on to the premises, e.g. music speakers, computers etc.
must be in good condition and safe to use.
• Fused trailing sockets must be used in preference to multi adaptors. Trailing electrical cables
walkways. Where not possible, cables are to be taped over or otherwise made safe.
• There must be adult supervision for all children’s parties: at least 1 adult: 10 children.
• Walton Playground is managed by Walton Parish Council and is primarily for the use of
children from the village and local area. Children may use the adjoining playground for their
party, but do not have exclusive access unless agreed in advance with the Village Hall and
the Parish Council
• If a bouncy castle or other such play equipment is to be erected, the hirer must ensure that
adequate public liability insurance is provided either by themselves or the provider of the
equipment. The Village Hall Committee will accept no responsibility for accident or injury
arising from the use of such equipment
Children’s holiday clubs
• The maximum number of children attending a holiday club will be 35.
• The staff to children ratio will be a minimum of 1:10
• Children attending a holiday club may use the playground, but do not have exclusive access.
• Children will wear ‘high vis’ jackets when outside the hall and will be supervised at all times.
• The playground and surrounding areas will be inspected regularly to make sure that they are
clean and tidy and free of litter.
• The club supervisors will ensure there is a ‘kids free’ period from 10.00 – 12.00 daily when
the children will be inside the hall and the playground will be free.
• The Village Hall will place a notice on the Hall notice board stating that at any other time any
local residents that wish to use the playground should seek the attention of a member of club staff. The staff will then move the children either inside the hall or to one end of the
playground as appropriate for an agreed period.
• Please ensure all hall users park either on the gravelled parking area within the gates to the
Hall or on the road subject to due care and attention. Please note cars are parked at the owner’s
risk and the Village Hall accepts no responsibility for damage to vehicles.
• Vehicles must not be parked on the pavement or grass verges adjoining the road
• No overnight camping (including motorhomes and caravans) is allowed in the village hall car
• The Hirer must note position of the fire extinguishers and fire exits.
• Fire exits must be kept clear and a one metre gangway must be left leading to the fire exits.
• Do not prop any doors open, except to aid transportation of equipment into or out of the
Hall, as a temporary measure.
• In the event of a fire it is the Hirer's responsibility to check that all rooms have been vacated,
all Hall users are accounted for and the emergency services are contacted.
• It is the Hirers responsibility to be familiar with the Fire Evacuation Plan detailed on the
notice board and in the Hirers Pack provided when the hall is booked.
• The First Aid kit, which is situated on the kitchen wall, is only to be used for minor injuries.
• For major injuries the emergency services must be contacted, and Village Hall contact as
detailed on the notice board informed of the incident.
Alcohol, Food and Entertainment
• The hirer must ensure that all necessary licences have been obtained for the sale of alcohol
and the performance of regulated entertainment, and abide by the times stated therein.
• The Hirer must also ensure that any Caterers or Entertainers engaged are suitably licensed
• All crockery, cutlery and pans used during the period of the hire must be washed, dried and
put away at the end of the hire. Please notify the Village Hall contact as detailed on the
notice board of any breakages.
• All rubbish must be removed from the premises at the end of the hire period.
• No fireworks are allowed inside or within the grounds of the village hall without written
consent from the Village Hall Chairperson.
• No candles are allowed in the hall except those on a birthday cake.
• No one is allowed to sit on the kitchen work surfaces for health & safety reasons.
Noise and Disturbance
• Do not disturb those living close to the Hall and do not permit guests to cause any sort of
disturbance in the area, either during or after functions.
• It is the Hirer’s responsibility to call the police if there is a disturbance.
• Keep music volumes moderate. All windows and doors must be kept closed during the
playing of live or recorded music in the Village Hall. Music should not be audible outside the
• The number of outdoor events is strictly limited and advance notice is given to residents.
However, noise must be kept to a reasonable level, live or recorded music must finish by
11 pm and the event must end by midnight.
• Offenders will not be allowed to rehire the Hall.
A strict No Smoking policy applies within the Hall
End of Hire – please adhere to the checklist provided in the Hirers Pack at the time of booking
and displayed on the Village Hall Notice Board.
Special Conditions of Hire from February 2022 (COVID-19)
- You, the hirer, will be responsible for ensuring those attending your activity or event comply with COVID-19 Secure advice while entering and occupying the hall, as shown on the poster which is displayed in the hall porch, including using the hand sanitiser supplied
- You undertake to comply with the actions identified in the hall’s risk assessment, which is displayed in the hall porch
- You will make sure that everyone likely to attend your activity or event understands that they MUST NOT DO SO if they or anyone in their household has had COVID-19 symptoms in the last 48 hours, or if still in their self-isolation period following a positive test. If they develop symptoms within 5 days of visiting the premises they should be encouraged to carry out a COVID-19 test and notify NHS test and trace if the result is positive.
- You will be responsible for regular cleaning of frequently used surfaces during your hire, paying particular attention to equipment such as tables, wash hand basins and kitchen sinks, using either the products supplied or ordinary domestic products. Please clean surfaces used before leaving. Please take care cleaning electrical equipment: Use cloths – do not spray!
- You will keep the premises well ventilated during your hire. You will be responsible for ensuring they are all securely closed on leaving.
- You will encourage social distancing between people who do not have regular contact with each other as far as possible.
- You will encourage mitigation measures such as face coverings if your event is likely to be busy or crowded and when using confined areas such as toilets and corridors, for the safety of others.
- You will take particular care to ensure that social distancing (or mitigation such as face coverings) is maintained with any persons likely to be more vulnerable to COVID-19, including for example ensuring they can access the toilets or other confined areas without compromising social distancing.
- You will arrange the room as far as possible to facilitate social distancing, for example: Seating side by side rather than face-to-face, at least one empty chair between each person or household group. If tables are being used by people from different households a wide U-shape is advisable.
- You will be responsible for the disposal of all rubbish created during your hire, including tissues and cleaning cloths. This must be taken away with you when you leave the hall.
- Food or drink should if possible be consumed while seated.
- We will have the right to close the hall if there are safety concerns relating to COVID-19, for example, if someone who has attended the hall develops symptoms and thorough cleansing is required or if it is reported that the Special Hiring Conditions above are not being complied with, or in the event that public buildings are asked or required to close again. If this is necessary, we will do our best to inform you promptly and you will not be charged for this hire.
- In the event of someone becoming unwell with suspected Covid-19 symptoms while at the hall, arrange for them to go home or move them to the designated safe area which is the Ladies Toilet. Provide tissues and a bin or plastic bag, and a bowl of warm soapy water for handwashing. Make sure you have contact details for others in your group and then ask them to leave the premises. Advise them to launder their clothes when they arrive home. Inform the hall contact on the number displayed in the porch.
Click here to download a copy of our terms and conditions